Errazuriz Vinedo Eduardo Chadwick 2018 Under Bond

chadwick 2018 - wimbledon wine cellar

Viñedo Chadwick Vineyard, Puente Alto, Maipo Valley

97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Petit Verdot 13.5o 3.56 5.55 g/l (in tartaric acid) 2.22 g/l for 22 months, 80% in new French oak barrels and 20% in Stockinger foudres 

Vintage Notes 

2018 Vintage presented ideal conditions throughout the season: a moist winter, a spring with mild temperatures, a warm December, a moderately fresh January and warmer temperatures towards the end of the season, allowed a balanced growth of the vines and a long, gentle ripeness. These conditions, followed by an early harvest, delivered an exceptionally balanced, elegant, fresh, and intense wine of unique depth. This season began with good water reserves in the soils, as rains between May and October totaled 281 mm, 31% above the historical records of 213 mm for the same period. What turned out to be a rainy spring was accompanied by normal temperatures in September, which allowed bud break for Cabernet Sauvignon on September 20th, very close to historical dates. Then, October surprised us with cooler than average temperatures, 23% lower than historic. It was all balanced just the following month, as November scored 11% warmer temperatures than average, continuing with the normal development of the growing season as flowering unfolded on November 13th, among historical dates as well. December provided warm, sunny days for grapes to continue the gentle ripening, with no rains on the distant horizon, guaranteeing full healthiness in our berries. January provided a welcomed recess from the summer’s warm temperatures, being 3% lower than average, just enough for a 10 days delay in veraison. February and March naturally speeded up the ripening with heat summations that slightly surpassed average records, becoming the guiding light for an anticipated harvest in 15 days. Yields were 8% higher than average records, being 5.5 tons per hectare the average yields of the different vineyard’s blocks. 

The harvested grapes ensured wonderful balance, excellent acidity and low alcohol, while the skins and seeds revealed perfect ripeness, which speaks of a clockwork path between nature’s gifted vintage and our winemaking and viticultural teams, heading towards perhaps the most balanced vintage ever crafted of Viñedo Chadwick. 

Vinification 

Grapes were hand-picked during the early morning hours and transported to the winery in small 15-kg boxes. We followed the progress of ripeness through aerial pictures, which allowed us to identify homogeneous lots and differentiate harvest moments according to each case. On arrival at the winery, the grapes were carefully inspected on a double sorting table to remove vegetal remains and damaged berries. Fermentation took place between 23°C and 28oC, 75% in small-volume stainless steel tanks, and 25% in concrete tanks. Depending on the desired level of extraction, the wine underwent up to three daily pum-povers. To enhance its aromas and colours, the maceration time was of 18 to 30 days, depending on the individual development of each lot. 80% of the wine was moved to new French oak barrels and the remaining 20% to Stockinger foudres, where it underwent malolactic fermentation and was kept for 22 months. Clarification and stabilization occurred in a natural way during this period. 

Tasting Notes 

“The truly exceptional 2018 vintage of Viñedo Chadwick displays a beautiful ruby red colour with violet shimmer. Elegant, fresh and linear entry on the nose, with aromas of red fruits such as cherry, cassis, raspberry and delicate notes of blueberry pie. The palate shows fresh red fruit and blackberry, all framed by soft tones of bitter chocolate and some cedar, subtly filled by very fine-grained and silky tannins. Extremely elegant, fresh, intense and of a unique depth, this is perhaps the most balanced vintage ever crafted of Viñedo Chadwick, auguring an incredible ageing potential.”  - Francisco Baettig, Winemaker 

Technical Information 

Vineyard Surface: 15 hectares. Vines planted in 1992 and 2015 Soil type: 40-cm clay-loam stratum atop an alluvial layer of 70% stone content Altitude: 650 m.a.s.l. Density: 4,166 vines/ha. Av. Yield: 3 ton/ha. January Mean Temperature: 21°C / 69.8°F Annual Rainfall: 328 mm / 12.9 in 

Wine Features

Country: 
Vintage: 
2018
Dominant Grape: 
Cabernet Sauvignon
Case Size: 
6
Bottle Size: 
75cl
Type: 
Red
0
No votes yet
£1,390.00 a case (6 x 75cl)